So you have developed a mobile application, now what?
With over 6.7 million smartphone mobile subscriptions worldwide, it is clear that app development companies should not neglect the potential of mobile applications.
While developing a unique mobile application is a complex process, it is not the most challenging step in the development lifecycle. Product teams often struggle with what comes next - testing all the features and functionalities of the product before releasing it.
That’s precisely why you need a mobile application testing tool that automates the entire testing process and speeds up your application release cycle.
This article lists the five best business mobile testing tools you should check out in 2024.
What is Mobile Application Testing? It involves testing mobile apps on various devices, platforms, and operating systems. The goal is to make sure the apps work well and provide a good user experience. Testing helps find and fix bugs, improve performance, and enhance overall user experience.
Top 6 Mobile Testing Tools to Try Out in 2024
Sahi Pro is a powerful tool for mobile testing automation that offers several features to simplify the testing process. This tool helps users automate native, web and hybrid applications on both iOS and Android. Trusted by leading B2B businesses around the globe, it is one of those affordable yet innovative tools to scale your mobile application development and release effort.
1. Cross-platform Testing
Sahi Pro allows you to test your mobile applications across multiple platforms, such as Android and iOS. With its cross-platform support, you can ensure your app works seamlessly across different devices and operating systems.
2. Object Identification
Sahi Pro provides robust object identification capabilities for mobile testing. It uses intelligent identification techniques to locate and interact with elements on the mobile app interface, making it easier to automate tests.
3. Record and Playback
With Sahi Pro's record and playback feature, you can easily automate test scenarios by recording user actions and playing them back later. This feature saves time and effort by eliminating the need for manual scripting.
4. Data-Driven Testing
Sahi Pro supports data-driven testing, allowing you to execute test cases with different data sets. This feature helps test various scenarios and ensures comprehensive coverage of your mobile application.
5. Parallel Execution
Sahi Pro enables parallel execution of test cases, allowing you to run multiple tests simultaneously on different devices. This feature significantly reduces the overall execution time and increases productivity.
6. Integration with CI/CD
Sahi Pro integrates with popular Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) tools like Jenkins, Bamboo, and TeamCity. This integration lets you incorporate mobile testing automation into your existing CI/CD pipelines, ensuring continuous testing and delivery.
7. Automated integration testing
Sahi Pro simplifies the testing process by offering a single tool for automating various technologies such as cross-browser web apps, desktop applications, SAP GUI applications, Java applets, web services, and mobile applications. This allows companies to streamline their testing processes and ensure the smooth integration of their mobile apps with other technologies. Sahi Pro provides cross-platform support and a user-friendly interface for creating and executing test scripts.
Sahi Pro is an ideal mobile testing tool for B2B product teams, seeking a smart solution to test multiple mobile applications like a pro and want to move beyond the popular open-source testing tools.
Android and iOS
- Cross-platform Testing: Appium allows script developers to write test scripts once and run them on multiple platforms, including iOS, Android, and Windows.
- Easy Integration: Appium integrates seamlessly with other testing frameworks and tools, making it easy to incorporate into existing testing workflows.
- Accurate Device Testing: Appium supports testing on real devices, providing more precise results than emulators or simulators.
- Record & Playback: Appium offers a record and playback feature that allows testers to record their interactions with the app and generate test scripts automatically.
B2B organizations looking for a flexible and scalable mobile testing tool that supports multiple platforms and programming languages.
Appium is an open-source tool and is free to use
Android and iOS
Calabash is a mobile testing framework that supports automated testing for native and hybrid mobile applications. It provides a simple and easy-to-use API for writing test scripts in multiple programming languages, including Ruby, Java, Flex, and .NET. Here are some top features of Calabash:
- Cross-platform Testing: Calabash supports testing on iOS and Android platforms, allowing developers to write test scripts once and run them on multiple devices.
- Interaction-driven Testing: Calabash follows an interaction-driven approach, where test scripts simulate user interactions with the app's UI elements.
- Reusability: Calabash allows for the reuse of test scripts across different platforms and devices, reducing the effort required to maintain and update test suites.
- Parallel Testing: Calabash supports parallel testing, enabling faster test execution and quicker feedback.
B2B organizations looking for a simple, powerful mobile tool supporting cross-platform testing.
Calabash is an open-source tool and is free to use.
Android and iOS
Espresso is a mobile testing framework developed by Google specifically for testing Android applications. It provides a simple and intuitive API for writing UI tests in Java or Kotlin. Here are some of the top features of Espresso:
- Lightweight APIs: Espresso's lightweight APIs make test script creation and maintenance easier, allowing developers to write tests quickly and efficiently.
- Synchronization: Espresso automatically synchronizes UI elements and testing actions, ensuring the app's UI is in the expected state before performing actions.
- Intent Validation: Espresso supports intent validation, allowing developers to verify that the app sends the correct intents and responds appropriately.
- Test Recording: Espresso offers a test recording feature that allows developers to record their interactions with the app and generate test scripts automatically.
B2B organizations developing native Android apps and seeking a lightweight and efficient mobile testing framework.
Espresso is an open-source framework and is free to use.
EarlGrey is a powerful testing tool specifically designed for testing iOS applications. It offers a range of features that simplify the testing process and ensure the quality and reliability of iOS apps.
- Robust Automation: EarlGrey provides a robust and reliable automation framework for iOS apps. It allows developers to write clear and concise test scripts using Objective-C or Swift.
- Enhanced Performance Testing: EarlGrey's performance testing capabilities allow for creating stress tests, performance benchmarks, and latency measurements, helping identify and address performance bottlenecks and optimize the app's overall performance.
- Integration with Xcode: EarlGrey seamlessly integrates with Xcode, Apple's integrated development environment, making it easy to incorporate automated tests into the development workflow. The tool provides detailed logs and reports, allowing developers to analyze test results and track the progress of their test suite.
iOS app developers and QA engineers in mobile app development companies.
EarlGrey is an open-source framework and is free to use.
Detox is a powerful testing tool specifically designed for iOS applications. It provides a comprehensive solution for automating end-to-end testing and ensuring the quality and reliability of iOS apps. Detox offers a range of features that make it an ideal choice for developers, QA engineers, and organizations looking to streamline their testing process and deliver robust applications.
- Synchronization and Wait Handling: Detox allows for smooth synchronization and wait handling, ensuring that tests run smoothly and efficiently. It provides built-in mechanisms to handle asynchronous operations, making writing stable and reliable tests easier.
- Powerful Debugging Capabilities: Detox has a range of debugging capabilities that simplify identifying and fixing issues. It provides detailed logs, screenshots, and even videos of test runs, making it easier to pinpoint errors and track their root causes.
- Test Stability and Reliability: Detox provides stable and reliable tests by mitigating flakiness and reducing false positives. It achieves this through advanced synchronization mechanisms, intelligent wait strategies, and robust error handling.
iOS app developers, QA engineers and agile app development teams.
Detox is an open-source framework and is free to use.
Why do B2B Organizations Need a Mobile Testing Tool?
For B2B organizations, having a reliable mobile testing tool is essential to ensure the quality and performance of their mobile apps.
Here are 5 reasons why B2B organizations need a mobile testing tool:
1. Improved User Experience
Mobile testing tools help identify and fix bugs, ensuring that the app works seamlessly and provides an excellent user experience.
2. Compatibility Testing
With a wide range of devices and operating systems available, testing the app's compatibility across different platforms is crucial to reach a larger user base.
3. Faster Time-to-Market
Mobile testing tools automate the testing process, allowing organizations to release their apps faster and stay ahead of the competition.
4. Cost Savings
Manual testing can be time-consuming and expensive. Organizations can save time and resources by automating the testing process, resulting in cost savings.
5. Increased App Store Ratings
A well-tested and bug-free app is more likely to receive positive ratings and reviews on app stores, leading to increased downloads and user engagement.
How to choose a Mobile Testing Tool?
You must choose a mobile testing tool that best aligns with your organization's requirements and helps you deliver high-quality mobile apps. When choosing a mobile testing tool, it's important to prioritize certain features based on your organization's specific needs.
Here are 7 features to help you choose the best mobile testing tool:
1. Cross-platform Support
If your organization develops apps for multiple platforms, prioritize tools that support cross-platform testing, allowing you to write test scripts once and run them on different platforms.
2. Automation Testing Capability
Look for tools that provide robust automation capabilities, allowing you to automate repetitive testing tasks. Consider automation testing tools that offer features like Object Identification, Script Recorder, Parallel Playback. This will eventually help you to save time and resources.
3. Low learning curve
Prioritize tools that have a user-friendly interface and are easy to learn and use, even for non-technical team members. Also, assess if your team can quickly learn the tool's scripting language.
4. Device Compatibility
Ensure the tool supports testing on various devices, including real and emulators/simulators.
5. Integration with CI/CD Systems
Choose tools that integrate seamlessly with your existing CI/CD systems, enabling continuous integration and testing.
6. Issue Redressal
You can face issues at any stage of your automation testing. Thus, the tool must provide an empathetic support team that assists you in resolving these issues. Alternately, look for a tool that provides online resources, tutorials, and community forums to seek resolution.
7. Reporting and Analytics
Consider tools that offer advanced reporting and analytics features, provide actionable insights, and help you identify areas for improvement.
In conclusion, mobile testing tools play a vital role in ensuring the quality and performance of mobile apps. With the increasing number of mobile apps and their users, it has become essential for businesses to invest in reliable mobile testing tools.
Sahi Pro, Appium, Calabash, EarlGrey, Espresso, and Detox are some of the leading mobile testing tools to consider in 2024. When choosing a mobile testing tool, it's essential to ask the right questions and prioritize features based on your organization's specific needs.
By selecting the right mobile testing tool, you can deliver high-quality mobile apps, improve user experience, and stay ahead of the competition.