As most enterprises strive for “sustainable IT”, test automation has become even more relevant. Test automation tools help businesses manage new feature releases faster without burning out the testers.
Cross-browser testing is a type of automation testing where you must assess software across multiple browsers to ensure it meets all the goals. It is a rigorous process that manually testing the performance of an application across various browsers (legacy and new) over a short time frame is not an option.
That’s precisely why businesses need a cross-browser testing tool. This article lists the five best cross-browser testing tools that worked best for us.
What is a Cross-Browser Testing Tool?
A cross-browser testing tool is a software solution that allows developers and testers to evaluate the performance of their websites or web applications across multiple browsers, devices, and operating systems.
These tools provide a virtual testing environment where users can simulate real-time interactions and identify any compatibility or functionality issues that may arise. By using a cross-browser testing tool, businesses can ensure that their products function seamlessly across various platforms, enhancing the user experience and reducing the risk of user frustration or abandonment.
Top 5 Cross-Browser Automation Testing Tools to Try in 2024
With many cross-browser automation testing tools in the market, choosing the right one for your business can be challenging. To help you make an informed decision, we have compiled a list of the top five cross-browser automation testing tools, highlighting their features, ideal use cases, and pricing options.
1. Sahi Pro
Sahi Pro is a comprehensive test automation tool that excels in cross-browser testing, especially for complex web 2.0 applications with AJAX and dynamic content. Trusted by Lenovo, Infosys, Accenture, Harman, etc., it is one of our list's most seasoned cross-browser testing tools.
2. Parallel Testing: With Sahi Pro, teams can perform parallel testing on different browsers simultaneously, reducing test execution time and accelerating the overall testing process.
3. Automatic Recorder - Sahi Pro’s Recorder automatically generates the script on all browsers. The script developed with one browser can execute seamlessly across all the browsers.
4. Automated Screenshot Comparison: Sahi Pro automates screenshot comparison, allowing testers to compare visual elements and identify any differences or inconsistencies across browsers.
5. Support for AJAX and Dynamic Content: Sahi Pro excels in testing web applications with AJAX and dynamic content, ensuring that all interactive elements and functionalities work seamlessly across browsers.
6. Cross-Browser Reporting: Sahi Pro provides comprehensive cross-browser reporting, allowing teams to track and analyze test results, identify browser-specific issues, and make data-driven decisions for improving application performance.
7. Device Support: Sahi Pro can connect with physical devices as well as devices on emulators, enabling testers to test on various devices.
Web testing plans start at $835/year
2. OpenText™ UFT One
UFT One (formerly Unified Functional Testing) is a comprehensive test automation tool designed to simplify the testing process and enhance the efficiency of software testing teams. It offers a wide range of features, including cross-browser testing capabilities, to ensure the compatibility and functionality of applications across different web browsers.
- UFT allows testers to validate the behavior and performance of applications across various web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer.
- UFT One enables testers to automate their test cases, reducing the manual effort required for repetitive tasks. Testers can record actions, add checkpoints, and parameterize test data to create robust and reusable test scripts.
Available on request
3. Ranorex Studio
Ranorex Studio is a powerful cross-browser testing tool that enables software testers to automate web and mobile applications. With its intuitive interface and robust functionality, Ranorex Studio simplifies the testing process and accelerates the delivery of high-quality applications.
- Ranorex Studio offers a wide range of features for test automation, allowing testers to create reliable and efficient test scripts. It supports multiple programming languages, such as C# and VB.NET.
- This tool provides seamless cross-browser testing capabilities and supports popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer.
- Ranorex Studio offers comprehensive reporting and analysis features, including customizable reports with metrics like test case status, execution time, and error details. Testers can easily export reports in formats like HTML and PDF for easy sharing and collaboration with stakeholders.
Available on request
TestComplete is a comprehensive cross-browser tool that enables automated testing on different configurations and operating systems. With support for multiple programming languages and a vast library of pre-built functions, TestComplete simplifies the creation and execution of automated UI tests. It also provides parallel testing capabilities and seamless integration with CI/CD tools, testing frameworks, and the SmartBear ecosystem.
- Automated UI tests with simple drag-and-drop actions
- Easy-to-build, maintain and learn test cases
- Parallel testing for simultaneous execution on multiple devices
- Object recognition using AI and property-based methods
1. Base - Starts from $1940/year
2. Pro - Starts from $3015/year
Testim offers robust cross-browser testing features that help ensure your web application works seamlessly across different browsers, operating systems, and devices. With Testim, you can easily execute cross-browser tests and identify design inconsistencies, functionality problems, or device-specific issues.
- Testim supports testing on popular web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge, allowing you to validate your application's compatibility across multiple browsers.
- Testim enables you to run tests simultaneously on different browsers, reducing the overall testing time and improving efficiency.
- Testim allows to execute mobile tests on physical as well as virtual devices.
Available on request
Why do Businesses Need a Cross-Browser Testing Tool?
Here are a four reasons why investing in a cross-browser testing tool is crucial for businesses:
1. Ensuring Consistent User Experience
Browsers and devices interpret web content differently, leading to variations in how websites or web applications appear and function. By using a cross-browser testing tool, businesses can ensure that their products provide a consistent user experience across all popular browsers, devices, and operating systems. This consistency enhances user satisfaction, reduces bounce rates, and increases conversions.
2. Identifying and Fixing Compatibility Issues
Cross-browser testing tools enable developers and testers to identify compatibility issues that may arise when their products are accessed on different platforms. These tools highlight rendering or functionality discrepancies, allowing businesses to address these issues before releasing their products to the public. By proactively fixing compatibility issues, companies can avoid negative user experiences and maintain a positive brand reputation.
3. Saving Time and Resources
Performing manual cross-browser testing can be a time-consuming and resource-intensive process. Businesses can automate the testing process by leveraging a cross-browser automation tool, significantly reducing the time and effort required.
These tools provide a comprehensive testing environment, allowing users to test their products simultaneously on multiple browsers, devices, and operating systems. This automation saves valuable time and resources, enabling businesses to focus on other critical aspects of their development and release cycles.
4. Increasing Development Efficiency and Speed
Cross-browser testing tools facilitate faster development cycles by providing product teams with real-time feedback on the compatibility of their code. By integrating these tools into their workflow, teams can quickly identify and rectify any compatibility issues, ensuring their products meet the highest performance standards. This increased efficiency and speed ultimately result in faster time-to-market and a competitive edge for businesses.
What factors to Consider When Selecting a Cross-Browser Testing Tool?
When choosing a cross-browser testing tool for your business, it is essential to consider several factors to ensure it aligns with your requirements. Here are four key factors to consider:
1. Organization requirements
Assess your project's scope, testing needs, and desired features to determine the ideal testing tool for your business.
2. Range of browsers, devices, and operating systems
Consider the browsers, devices, and operating systems your target audience uses and select a comprehensive coverage tool.
Ensure the testing tool can scale with your business needs and accommodate future growth.
4. Integrations with third-party tools
Check if the tool integrates seamlessly with your existing CI/CD, project management, and automation tools to streamline your testing workflow.
Cross-browser testing is a critical aspect of web development that ensures a seamless user experience across different browsers, devices, and operating systems. Investing in a cross-browser testing tool offers numerous benefits, including cost-effectiveness, increased efficiency, improved test coverage, enhanced collaboration, and simplified debugging.
By selecting the right tool for your business, you can streamline your testing process, deliver high-quality products, and stay ahead in the competitive digital landscape.
Remember to choose a tool that aligns with your organization's requirements and offers comprehensive coverage, scalability, and seamless integrations with other tools.